Hi friends..!! This is my first ever blog post, so wanted it to be really special. I wanted the first post to be of something sweet to celebrate the new beginning, however was very confused and could not decide on that special dish. As a result, my first post kept on delaying but then I got the chance to make a perfect dish for my first special post to share with you all.
It was my darling brother’s birthday on April 1 and I had to prepare a perfect simple birthday cake for his dinner party. (P.S.: My family is not too fond of whipped cream and fondant cakes, so we did not want to buy those ones from the bakery.) So, I thought what more special occasion I needed to make my first post live on the blog.
My brother, Karan, wanted a “chocolate” cake, so I decided to make this rich double chocolate cake with a unique creamy Cadbury Chocolate Ganache made with our very own favorite chocolate, Cadbury Silk. Yes, your read it right..!! The ganache is so simple and easy to make that even a beginner in baking like me could also perfect it in the first try itself. (You may read the Silk Ganache recipe here.)
I made this cake for the first time but I must say this recipe will be a keeper recipe for me. It would be my go-to-chocolate cake recipe in future. The cake was moist yet had a perfect crumb like bakery baked ones. I made this cake in one layer but it can be made in a layered version also.
This cake has been the best chocolate cake I have baked so far. (Trust me, I can say this because my brother does not eat cakes at all and he was the one who praised it a lot). The cake got me a lot of appreciation from my family and his friends. His friends could not believe that the cake was homemade. I hope you also find the recipe useful and try it out for your family and friends. The cake is so versatile that it can also be served as a perfect tea time cake without the ganache, or as a scrumptious dessert served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream drizzled with chocolate sauce.
Credits: The recipe for this cake was inspired by one of my fellow CAL member, Afreen Usman.
To make this delicious chocolate cake, you will need:
Preparation Time: 15 mins
Baking Time: 45-50 mins
List of Ingredients:
1 1/2 cup castor sugar
200 gms butter
2 tsp vanilla essence
1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vinegar
1/4 cup hot milk
Juice of 1 lemon
Handful of chocolate chips
Real Fruit Juice/Sugar Syrup
- Sift flour, baking powder and cocoa powder together for 3-4 times.
- Prepare a cake tin by greasing it and dusting with cocoa powder.
- Pre-heat oven at 180 degrees for 10 mins.
- In a large bowl, cream 1/2 cup sugar and butter till fluffy and triple in volume.
- Separate egg yolks and egg whites.
- Add the egg yolks in the butter mixture one by one and beat well after each addition.
- Add vanilla essence and beat again.
- Add the flour mixture in 3 batches, alternating with milk. Fold with a spatula using cut and fold method till well mixed. Add vinegar and mix once again.
- Beat egg whites. Once it becomes frothy, add lemon juice and continue beating. Once egg whites reach soft peaks, gradually add sugar and beat till stiff peaks.
- Add egg whites into the flour mixture with light hands in 3-4 batches so that it doesn’t lose air.
- Fold in a few dark chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter in the prepared tin and bake at 170 degrees Celsius for 40-50 minutes or till a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Cake should be springy to touch. Mine was done in about 40 minutes.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for 10 mins and then invert on the wire rack.
- Poke a few holes with a toothpick in the cake and soak the cake with any juice/sugar syrup to moisten the cake. You can use warm milk also to moisten the cake.
- Drizzle the prepared Silk Ganache on the cake and decorate as per your preference.. I decorated with few more chocolate chips and Cadbury gems.
Thanks for reading..!!
Notes: For eggless version, replace 1 egg with 1/4 cup thick curd or 1/2 mashed banana. Please note that using banana may alter the original chocolate flavor of the cake.