I am back with a very special post dedicated to the most special person in my life – my hubby, Luv. It was his birthday yesterday & I had been waiting for this day to try something new and blog about the same on the blog. Every year, I bake a different cake for him for his birthday celebrations; so as a ritual, I had to decide on the cake I wanted to bake for him. After going through the various saved recipes & browsing Pinterest, I decided on to bake Pineapple Upside Down Cake for him and asked for his approval. He immediately replied saying that this time, he does not want a cake but a Banoffee Pie on his birthday.
Luv is really fond of Banoffee Pie & had been after me for ages to make one for him, and I was too lazy to try it and always avoided making it. He knew I could not say ‘No’ to him and his wish would be my command on his birthday. So, I geared up to try my hands in unexplored waters & fulfill his wish to have the pie on his special day. After surfing through the various recipes on BetterButter, I picked this one recipe by Plaza Premium Lounge & moved on to gather all the ingredients & was all set to make this beautiful pie for the love of my life. Since I was trying this pie for the first time, I halved the measurements mentioned in the original recipe. On seeing the Banoffee Pie at midnight for his cake cutting celebrations, he was all smiles and that happiness and sense of fulfillment was priceless for me.
To my surprise, the Banoffee Pie was polished off amongst 5 people only in minutes after being cut; and the smile on my hubby’s face after tasting it was priceless. Banoffee pie looked absolutely stunning and tasted even better as per my hubby’s and family’s feedback. Luckily, 1 slice was left for me to click a picture for a sliced piece of the pie to put up on the blog.
For making this pie, you’ll need:
For the base:
- Butter – 50 gms, melted
- Digestive Biscuits – 125 gms
For the caramel:
- Butter – 50 gms
- Brown Sugar – 50 gms
- Condensed Milk – 200 gms
- Bananas – 2 small
- Whipping Cream – 100 ml (I used Silvermark Non-Dairy Whipping Cream)
- Grated Chocolate for garnish – I used Toblerone Dark Chocolates for a mild bitterness to cut through the sweetness, you can use any.
- Crush the biscuits in a food processor and add melted butter in them and mix well.
- In a greased loose-bottomed cake tin or a pie mould, spoon the buttered crumbs into the base and about halfway up the sides of the tin to make a pie shell. Chill for 10 minutes.
- Melt the butter and brown sugar in a non-stick sauce pan on low heat, stirring continuously. Add the condensed milk and bring to a rapid boil for a minute for a thick golden caramel.
- Pour the caramel evenly over the base and chill for about 1 hour, until firm.
- After 1 hour, remove the sides of the cake tin, lift the pie from the tin carefully and place on a serving plate.
- Slice the bananas thinly and put them onto the caramel layer of the pie.
- Whip the cream till stiff peaks and spread the cream over the banana layer of the pie.
- Garnish with grated chocolate and serve it chilled.
- Keep the pie out of the fridge for just a few minutes before serving to get perfect slices.
Thanks for reading…!!!