Today I am writing a post for all the cake & banana lovers. If you get to eat your favourite fruit in a cake, you can’t ask for anything more. My hubby loves his cakes and one fruit which he can have anytime is banana, so I had to try a combination of both of his favourite things, and trust me you, it resulted in this sumptuous “Banana Chocolate Chip Cake”.
This cake comes out super moist and soft because of mashed bananas in it & the addition of loads of chocolate chips makes it more heavenly. All sorts of banana cakes are the most baked cakes in my house & this particular cake steals the show every time I bake one. This is the most ordered cake by my clients & it never disappoints them either. This cake gets used up in my house in maximum 2 days no matter how big I make it.
This recipe has been adapted from the “Easy Banana Bread” recipe from the website, Taste of Home, and I can very easily say that it is a no fail recipe and has been tried and tested a lot of times now in my kitchen. Just a few days back, I had baked 4 of these cakes – 3 for a client & 1 for my hubby dearest as his Valentine’s treat. The original recipe called for shortening, but since I did not have it, I used oil and I was not disappointed by the results. The cake had a super moist crumb to it and a bread like texture.
For the recipe of this heavenly yummy cake, you’ll need:
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Baking Time: 45-50 minutes
Serves: 4-5 persons
Makes: 1 loaf or about 750 grams round cake
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1/2 cup castor sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (3 large or 4 small/medium bananas)
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips dusted with a little bit of flour
- 3-4 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven at 180 degrees Celsius for 10 minutes. In a large mixing bowl, blend oil and sugar well till you get a homogeneous mixture. Add eggs one by one, beating well after each addition.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt 2-3 times.
- Add the sifted dry ingredients to the egg mixture alternating with mashed bananas, milk and vinegar, beating well until just combined.
- Adjust the quantity of milk to get the right consistency of the batter. The batter will be thick yet flowing.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and reserve some to sprinkle on the top.
- Pour the batter into a greased and lined baking mould and bake for about 45-50 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Let stand in the baking tin for 10 minutes before taking it out. Run a flat knife or spatula around the edges of the cake to loosen it and invert on the wire rack to cool.
- Once cooled, slice the cake and enjoy with a hot cup of milk, tea or coffee.
Thanks for reading…!!