Finally I am back with a new blog post after a long break from blogging. My personal, professional and health issues & commitments kept me away from blogging for this long. And now since I am back, I knew I had to share a post about the cake which I baked for my hubby’s birthday. What would be a better occasion to resume blogging than to make a post about my better half’s special day.
Just like every year, I wanted to bake a different & unique cake for his birthday & hence started my search of a recipe for a perfect cake for his birthday. Since at my house, everyone likes sponge cakes better than frosted ones, I knew I had to bake a unique flavored cake and I was sure I was not interested in baking the usual vanilla cake, chocolate cake or banana cake.
I had been keen on baking something with coconut and berries, so I started scrolling through some amazing recipes on Pinterest and finally zeroed down on this “Coconut & Raspberry Cake”. The original recipe can be found here and on “The Key Ingredient” website and it called for some icing as well but I decided to omit the icing to avoid making the cake overly sweet. The best part about this cake is the layer of raspberry filling swirled inside the cake and it gives a nice refreshing punch to the cake; and I can proudly say that in spite of everyone being not so fond of coconut-y taste in sweets, the cake was an instant hit with my family and they loved it absolutely. Do try this cake for yourself and experience the amazing flavors it offers.
Moving on to the recipe, you’ll need:
Preparation Time: 20 mins
Baking Time: 35-40 mins
Serves: 7-8 persons
- 150 grams Butter, softened
- 150 grams Powdered Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 3 Eggs
- 250 grams All-purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 75 grams Desiccated Coconut (original recipe called for 100 grams but I reduced the quantity as per our taste buds)
- 5 tbsp Milk
- 6 tbsp Raspberry Jam/Fruit Filling
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius and line a cake tin with baking parchment paper. Sift the flour and baking powder together and keep aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter, caster sugar and vanilla essence till pale yellow, fluffy and creamy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well between each addition.
- Add the flour, baking powder and beat until combined. Add the milk a tablespoon at a time and mix well.
- Fold in the desiccated coconut lastly with a spatula.
- Pour one-third of the batter into the cake tin, before spreading the raspberry jam/filling in a layer on top of the batter. Swirl the jam lightly with a toothpick. Cover the jam with the remaining cake batter.
- Bake for about 35-40 minutes or till a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean or with some moist crumbs.
- You can cover loosely with a tin foil in case of over-browning of top after 20 mins. Baking time varies from oven to oven and depends on the shape and size of the cake tin.
- Let the cake be in the tin for 10 mins and after that invert the cake onto a cooling rack and allow it to cool completely.
Thanks for reading…!!